Saturday, July 14, 2012

someone else's opinion of you doesn't define you


dosomething.org: "...I have been bullied for different reasons. I was bullied for …speaking a different language. I was also made fun of and humiliated for my lack of reading skills. I am dyslexic but I wasn't aware of that at the time. I was called really hurtful names and… it was tough going to school every day. I would say that you need to talk to a teacher or parent and follow their advice. I'd also like to say that someone else's opinion of you doesn't define you. That's what my mom taught me...When I was diagnosed with dyslexia, I was told to read everything from street signs to cereal boxes and that my mom shouldn't read the menu for me. I should read it to her! It has helped a great deal. I am reading well but it is something I work on every day...At the moment, I am very passionate about taking a stand on bullying because it is something I can relate to and that my fans and friends suffer from. I do have other issues that I'd like to help out such as stopping child trafficking, child abuse, animal abuse and learning disabilities..." (Q&A Exclusive: Bella Thorne Opens Up About Dyslexia, Being Bullied)


Annabella Avery "Bella" Thorne (born October 8, 1997) is an American teen actress, dancer, singer, and model. She is a child model and actor with appearances in more than 20 films and television series and more than 60 commercials, she is best known for her role as the aspiring young dancer, CeCe Jones on the Disney Channel original series Shake It Up! co-starring Zendaya...Originally from Pembroke Pines, Florida, Thorne has been living with her family in California since early 2006. Her interests include dancing, playing soccer, spending time with her family and playing with her two dogs, a Cocker Spaniel and a wolf hybrid, six cats and a turtle. She also admits to being a collector of hardcover books, listening to 80s music, and using YouTube as a research tool for getting into character. Thorne is an avid supporter of the Humane Society, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and The Nomad Organization, which provides education, food and medical supplies to children in Africa. Thorne lost her father to a vehicle accident in 2007. Thorne disclosed her father's passing in a live interview on the local television talk show "View From The Bay" in December 2008. Thorne was diagnosed with dyslexia in second grade. She is currently being home-schooled after previously attending a public school, where she had suffered peer abuse. Thorne improved in her learning after attending a Sylvan Learning center and is currently reading and writing a grade ahead. Thorne also talked about her dyslexia in an April 2010 interview with American Cheerleader Magazine, and explained that she overcame her dyslexia by rigorously reading everything she could find, including the labels of cereal boxes (Wikipedia).

RELATED READING:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Bullying is an abusive treatment, the use of force or coercion to affect others, particularly when habitual and involving an imbalance of power. It may involve verbal harassment, physical assault or coercion and may be directed persistently towards particular victims, perhaps on grounds of race, religion, gender, sexuality, or ability. The "imbalance of power" may be social power and/or physical power. The victim of bullying is sometimes referred to as a "targeted individual" (Wikipedia).